After a year of deep community engagement, The NYC Economic Development Corporation has released Hunt Point Forward, a 15-year vision for a safe, healthy, and economically thriving neighborhood for residents and workers alike.
Hunts Point Forward creates a shared vision between the city and the community to address affordability, job creation, environmental justice, public safety, access to healthy foods, public health, and upgrades to public space, infrastructure, and transportation in Hunts Point.
The plan offers more than 70 short-term and long-term recommendations, all of which have been shaped by extensive community input.
Priority recommendations of the plan include:
· Closing the Vernon C. Bain Center prison barge and starting a community engagement process to repurpose the adjoining parking lot.
· Making the neighborhood a model of industrial sustainability and resiliency, while addressing decades of environmental injustices.
· Adding better street lighting, expanding open space, and improving access to area parks.
· Connecting residents to local jobs through a variety of workforce development strategies.
· Expanding healthcare access through pop-up health clinics and screenings, with a permanent facility in the Peninsula redevelopment.
The plan was extensively informed by remote and in-person events, community board briefings, a community survey of more than 400 responses, three public workshops, and focus group meetings.
TO LEARN MORE: https://huntspointforward.nyc/
GHPEDC is an affiliate of Urban Health Plan, Inc.
Copyright © 2023 The Greater Hunts Point Economic Development Corporation - All Rights Reserved